Lacy Lakeview is a growing community, which lies on the north border of Waco, Texas. We are a proud community with a rich history. Our history begins with Neil McLennan.
The following winter Indians killed Laughlin McLennan and several members of his family and captured his children; the other families moved down to Nashville-on-the-Brazos for security. John McLennan was killed by Indians in 1838. Neil McLennan was a member of George B. Erath's Milam County "Mounted Volunteers," engaged in Indian scouting and warfare in 1839,when he first saw the territory that was to become McLennan County. He stopped to survey land and in 1845 returned to the South Bosque River, built a house and planted crops, thus becoming the first white settler in the Waco area, west of the Brazos River.
Here he lived until his death in 1867. When the new county around Waco was organized in 1850 it was appropriately named McLennan in his honor.
Jacob Walker moved to Louisiana and met Sarah Ann Vauchere and they were married in November of 1827. They had two children while in Louisiana and Jacob had a farm there. He then moved to Nacogdoches, Texas were they had five more children.
In 1835, Sam Houston stopped in Nacogdoches and persuaded his cousin to join the army because they were giving land to the soldiers. Jacob's first battle was the storming and capture of Bexar, December 5 until December 10, 1835. The siege of Bexar was a crucial event in the history of Texas. It brought Santa Anna at the head of his army to retake San Antonio and Texas, and men indecisive about their future as Mexican citizens or Texans were moved irrevocably to independence.
After the Siege of Bexar, Jacob remained in Bexar as a member of Carey's artillery company. This was his duties during the battle of the Alamo. He was a gunner until the end.
According to Susanna Dickinson, Jacob Walker was the last man to die at the Alamo. Jacob Walker, the gunner from Nacogdoches after there were no more balls left to fire, plugged his cannon with scraps of cast iron and broken pieces of chain and fired at the Mexican soldiers. A Mexican officer trained a force of muskets on them and they became major targets. Jacob Walker, who had remained by his cannon until his wounds kept him from firing his cannon, leaped from the ramp, and dashed to the side of Mrs. Dickinson in one of the chapel side rooms. Within moments, the Mexican soldiers broke through the old doors. The bloody fighting was fierce, but brief. It is beleived that Jacob was attempting to ignite the main powder magazine which would have blown the Alamo to pieces, but because of his injuries crawled to Mrs. Dickenson and begs her to take a message to his wife Anna, he then turned to face the Mexican hordes. Susanna Dickenson said the Mexican soldiers shot and bayoneted him to death as she looked on. The soldiers pitched him around on bayonets, as they would a bail of hay. Susanna was one of a few that was spared during the massacre.
Jacob Walker died on March 6th, 1836 and is considered to be the last man to fall at the Alamo.
Less than a year after her husbands death, Sarah married his cousin Jim Bob Walker. Being widowed on the frontier was a common female experience and, because the majority of the population was male, quickly remarrying was an established custom.
For the valiant sacrifice made by her husband ( Jacob Walker ), a grateful Republic of Texas issued to her Headright Certificate Number One, deeding to her "a league and a labor" ( about 4,416 acres ). The certificate was signed by President David G. Burnet, who held the office of President from March 16th, 1836 to October 22nd, 1836. The certificate did not locate the grant of land until February 1, 1841. Col. Leonard William's, first Indian Commissioner of Texas, located the grant of land for her. The Walker Grant was east of the Brazos River, beginning at a point slightly north of the mouth of the Bosque River and extending past White Rock Creek. The property also stretched east beyond Tehuacana Creek.
Sarah planned to move there from Nacogdoches after the birth of her eight child but delayed because she quickly became pregnant again. The move of the household,slaves, and stock began during this ninth and final pregnancy, and Sarah was determined to have the birth on the Brazos. The baby came earlier, however, and was delivered "somewhere on the Sabine Trail". Before Sarah could establish her family on the new land, her second husband died, and the 1850 Census listed her as "family head, occupation farmer". It was not unusual for survivors in the West to marry three or four times, but Sarah chose not to remarry again.
With considerable temerity Sarah assumed responsibility for settling her newborn infant, a one year old, and her seven older children in the wilderness of Central Texas. She built her log cabin on high ground facing the Brazos River and enjoyed the benefits of fresh water from nearby springs, fertile black soil,and Indian peach trees. With many people looking for land, Sarah lived by selling off parcels of her land grant. Early documents record that she and four of her children sold 130 acres on the Brazos for $ 3,660.00 and that she also leased some of her land and rode horseback to collect rent from her tenants.
Sarah Walker not only endured; she prospered and replaced her cabin with a two story Greek Revival structure with large porches in the front and back. For years hers was the only house north of the Waco Indian Village on the Military Road, and travelers frequently stopped to drink from the cool spring waters and rest their horses. Indians came by also, but did not attack, perhaps because Sarah gave them gifts of food. The two oldest Walker daughters married and left home soon after they moved to the Brazos, and two of the sons and one daughter died before 1855. A third son ( John ) moved into a small cabin away from the family house and lived a secluded life. The 1870 Census listed him as male, thirty-eight years old, with no property of his own, and "an idiot whose privilege to vote had been discontinued." The other three children lived on the Walker plantation until the Civil War, when another son was killed in the Battle of Bull Run and the youngest daughter married.
Sarah Ann Walker continued alone while the Military Road became the old Dallas Highway and the family cemetery behind her house filled with her children. As she aged, she became an increasingly devout Catholic and worshipped regularly at home. As hardy a pioneer as the West had, Sarah witnessed the extension of the frontier into Texas, participated in the Texas Revolution, saw Waco Village born, and almost lived to see the turn of the twentieth century. She died peacefully at home on December 10th, 1899, at the age of eighty-eight. She was buried in the family cemetery behind her house and what is now known as the Walker-Stanfield Cemetery.
Walker 's family cemetery became the Stanfield-Walker Cemetery when Sarah Walker's daughter ( Margaret ) married Francis Stanfield. Margaret Walker was born on July 18, 1832 and died on March 8, 1923 . Francis Stanfield was born in 1847 and died in 1869 . He was probably killed by outlaws, as the LaVega grant to the south of the Jacob Walker grant was a "no-mans land" and a notorious hideout for criminals. Family members from both the Walker and Stanfield families are buried in the cemetery.
Jim Bob Walker's grave is the oldest grave in the cemetery and is walled in with native sandstone blocks. The marker shows he died in 1850. Their are two unmarked stones, very old native sandstone, which are probably some of the "Walker" descendants. Ada Stanfield was first Stanfield to be buried in the Stanfield-Walker Cemetery. She was the daughter of Margaret ( Walker ) Stanfield. Ada Stanfield was born on January 23, 1875 and died on July 23, 1876 .
Because Texas is were the longhorns were, that is where the trials began. The Chisholm Trail was named after Jesse Chisholm, a Cherokee Native American. He was a trader, interpreter, guide and businessman. He had already traveled the trail numerous times, hauling freight in wagons that were pulled by oxen from Kansas to stock his trading post--or rather trading posts that extended to the Canadian River. It is said that he was the first to create a chain of convenience stores.
In the early years, Jesse Chisholm in his bartering with the Indians, was principally interested in securing furs and buffalo robes from the Indians, but had to accept some cattle for his goods. When he had gathered several hundred head of cattle, he would drive them to Ft. Gibson.
Texas Longhorns were descendants of cattle brought over by the Spanish. Whatever the genetic background, the fact remains that the longhorns were left alone to survive in the wilds of northern New Mexico and southern Texas while the men went away to fight each other in the Civil War. Nature converted the once domesticated animal into a lean and hardy breed, fully capable of defending itself against most predators with its long horns and sharp hooves. The end result was a breed of cattle resistant also to disease and drought, that flourished until it numbered in the millions.
At the end of the War Between the States, a seemingly endless supply of longhorns existed. Thousand were killed for the tallow and hides---a good cowhide might bring as much as $ 3.00 . Markets for the entire animal were rare, but if the cattlemen could get their product to Chicago, a market was waiting for them there---paying as much as $ 35 to $ 40 a head. The cattlemen rounded up longhorns, cropped their ears, branded their hides, and drove them north across the Indian Nations into Kansas. The trip was not easy and the cattlemen had to deal with unhappy farmers and ranchers, prohibitive laws and uncooperative weather. When the cattlemen arrived at Kansas or Missouri with their herds, they had to deal with roving bands of ex-soldiers who called themselves Jayhawkers or red-legs, and who enjoyed murdering Texans.
The first year that the Chisholm Trail was used to move cattle north, an estimated 260,000 head of cattle were driven towards Kansas or Missouri, but only about half reached their destinations.
The Chisholm Trail extends from Brownsville at the southern most part of Texas and extends north through Texas, Oklahoma and ends in Kansas. The trail ended at one of four locations in Kansas ( Dodge City, Hays, Ellsworth or Abilene ).
The Chisholm Trail also came through Waco, Texas on its way north. Cattlemen stopped along the Brazos river, and some camped on Sarah Walkers Plantation. It is said that Sarah Walker allowed them to graze there cattle and rest up on her land. History also records that some of the cattlemen that died on the trial are buried in the Walker-Stanfield Cemetery in unmarked graves. The trail was abandoned in the 1880's , as the land along the route was settled and cattle were shipped by rail. Somewhere along the way, without intending to do more than work for a hard day's pay and board, they created the legend of the American cowboy.
From its early beginning as Frost School on the west side of town, through good times and bad. the school system always had the support of the community. Lakeview consolidated with Elm Mott in 1950--51 . The school at Elm Mott, still in use, was built in 1920. The new school district was called Connally Consolidated School District. At that time, school was only taught to the tenth grade. Soon after consolidation, a High School was built on a fifteen acre tract of land and named Connally High School. The area developed rapidly during the next few years and it became necessary to build another elementary school. This school was built on the fifteen acres and named Northcrest Elementary School in 1961. On April 8, 1974 a fire destroyed the high school except for the gymnasium and Home Economics building. As in times before when schools burned or were torn down, the local churches were used for class rooms until the school could be replaced. The school district bought additional land adjacent to the junior high complex that was built in 1965 to build a splendid new Connally High School. This building was completed in 1976. The Connally Schools are highly recognized scholastically and academically. The Community has a lot of pride in the schools splendid record in sports and scholastic achievements.
Lakeview, Texas. Lakeview , in central McLennan County, was named for it's location near some spring-fed lakes and was built along the lines of the Texas Electric Railroad. In 1915 the Lakeview school replaced the Frost school at Lacy and was incorporated in 1927. The community was developed during and after World War II with the expansion of the James Connally Air Force Base. Lakeview reported three businesses and an estimated population of seventy in 1947. The city merged with Lacy to become Lacy Lakeview in 1953.
Lacy Lakeview, Texas. On August 1, 1953, the residents of Lacy Lakeview and nearly points in a two-square mile area voted to incorporate as Lacy Lakeview. An earlier attempt to incorporate the two former interurban stops had failed the preceding year. Frank Mosely, who spearheaded the move for incorporation, was elected the first mayor of the city in 1953. Lacy Lakeview, which has the mayor-city council form of municipal government, is a general law city and does not have a charter since its population does not exceed five thousand. Two major residential districts in the area are the Connally Addition and the W. Morris Mosely Addition. The city present water system was founded by the J.C. Passmore family in 1949. In addition to Mosely, the following have served as mayor of Lacy Lakeview: Morgan C. Harrell, A.C. Reed, and John D. Heffelfinger. The population of Lacy Lakeview in 1970 was 2,558.
The big club house was impressive and elegant with it's dinning hall, big fireplaces, dressing rooms, locker rooms and the second floor ballroom; like scenes you have seen in movies. But, like the passing of time, this era too faded away. The club house stood imposing over the country side and silent lakes until it was condemned and torn down about 1974. The Club had long since been closed. The Air Force had used the site just briefly in the 1950's for an officers club, but deterioration took over. The property has now been developed into a subdivision with beautiful homes spotting the lovely terrain.